• 12 Replies

MichaelWaddicor

• Aurora Eurotech
Aurora Virtual Radar 3D - FAQ Update
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:58:53 AM »
Hi all

From our updated FAQ.
http://www.auroraeurotech.com/avionics/faq.php

We aim to answer email questions within 24 hours.
Forums are monitored daily.
Our focus is on supporting existing customers and developing the Virtual Radar 3D.

Its not our intention to be seen as using Yahoo/Google groups for advertising, which is why we are not involving ourselves in these forums at present.

Naturally there are some questions that for the present we would rather not answer for obvious reasons and we hope that you will appreciate those reasons until the product is available.

Q - Do we support Planeplotter?
A - Updated
Yes
Using Planeplotter via port 30003 is already supported.
And we are working with Bev and John so that Planeplotter will work directly with our receiver.
We are also looking to add MLAT support.

Q - Can I use outlines / flags that are available on the internet?
A -Updated
Yes.
And if you have created any outlines / flags etc, that you would allow us to use please contact us by email.
We are keen to support third party developers.

Q - Can I write my own software to work with your receiver?
A - Yes. Its as simple as reading the data coming out of a serial port GPS.
Protocol information will be published when we start shipping our Aurora Virtual Radar 3D.

Q - What database do you use.
A - SQLite.

Q - Can the firmware in the receiver be updated?
A - Yes the firmware for both the FPGA and the DSP can be updated.

Michael Waddicor
Aurora Eurotech

Hamish

Re: Aurora Virtual Radar 3D - FAQ Update
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:15:33 PM »
Whilst we like to keep our members abreast of all new developments, we do request suppliers not to post promotional content in the message boards.  We also have a rule about reciprocal website links and offer advertising opportunities.
RS is a not-for-profit forum that relies on advertising and donations to cover its running costs.

Take a look at this post please http://www.radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php/topic,184.0.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:29:44 PM by Anmer »

satcom

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:36:58 PM »
Whilst we like to keep our members abreast of all new developments, we do request suppliers not to post promotional content in the message boards.  We also have a rule about reciprocal website links and offer advertising opportunities.
RS is a not-for-profit forum that relies on advertising and donations to cover its running costs.

Take a look at this post please http://www.radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php/topic,184.0.html

Hi Hamish

I know this is a difficult situation for you , but Michael is only answering questions raised on the forum and keeping interested parties abreast of developments.
He'd no doubt be criticised if he didnt....and the link after all is to the FAQ page.
I'm sure he wouldnt mind if the link was dropped from his posts.....

An alternative would be for him to post a list of updates to me , then I'll simply
paste them into a message ...but that seems a rather clumsy way of doing things.
After all its best to get info of this nature direct from the developer

Anmer

• Peterborough, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:38:10 PM »
Thanks John but this has already been discussed direct with Michael.

Hamish was merely explaining that we have to draw the line somewhere.  Michael's post wasn't deleted.

Anmer

• Peterborough, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 02:29:26 PM »
Although I'm only viewing the screenshots on the Aurora Eurotech page, I don't see any flight route information?  Maybe a key element that's missing?

And is there an option to view a map other than 3D?

MichaelWaddicor

• Aurora Eurotech
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 07:10:49 PM »
Although I'm only viewing the screenshots on the Aurora Eurotech page, I don't see any flight route information?  Maybe a key element that's missing?

And is there an option to view a map other than 3D?

Hi Anmer
At present I am not aware of a public source of accurate flight route information. So we have not added this feature.
I am aware of PP-logs-and-routes and flight display.

However if we can add this feature we will.

The main view is 3D only, however if you view directly from above then you have a 2D view.
In response to requests, you can expect to see a separate 2D map view available in the near future.

Regards
Michael Waddicor
Aurora Eurotech

tarbat

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »
At present I am not aware of a public source of accurate flight route information.

Maybe take a look at http://www.flightroutelookup.com/FlightRoute/

The lack of a 2D interface seems a bit short-sighted in my opinion.  Many of us really prefer a traditional, ATC type view of the airspace.  In fact, my typical usage with Radarbox is to use a traditional ATC view for 99% of the time, switching to 3D for particular aircraft situations that I want to view in 3D.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:49:36 PM by tarbat »

t1m0

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »
At present I am not aware of a public source of accurate flight route information. So we have not added this feature.

The main view is 3D only, however if you view directly from above then you have a 2D view.

I'm afraid you have just lost a potential customer who had been eagerly awaiting your launch day.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:27:31 PM by Anmer »

satcom

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 01:09:22 PM »

[/quote]

I'm afraid you have just lost a potential customer who had been eagerly awaiting your launch day.

[/quote]

If its the lack of 2D mapping that puts you off t1m0 , dont forget that as it supplies real time data the  Aurora box will interface with Planeplotter out of the box as far as I am aware using the Rx control feature [ although Michael would need  to confirm that as I havnt been able to test one myself  ] and Planeplotter can provide you with Vector mapping [ SBS1 style ] charts...NASA satellite view , plus OSM

Anmer

• Peterborough, UK
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 01:28:37 PM »
Hi Anmer
I am aware of PP-logs-and-routes and flight display.

However if we can add this feature we will.

Maybe speak to Dave Reid about using his Flight Routes product?

tarbat

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »
Maybe speak to Dave Reid about using his Flight Routes product?

Isn't that the link I provided yesterday?  I though Dave Reid ran http://www.flightroutelookup.com/FlightRoute/

Anmer

• Peterborough, UK
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »
Sorry Tarbat, I didn't see your earlier post.  You are correct.

MichaelWaddicor

• Aurora Eurotech
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »

Thank you for your suggestions regarding flight routes.
We have made the decision to add flight routes to our software.
You will be able to import the data from an external file.

Also it is very frustrating for us that most peoples view of 3D at present is based on aircraft's overlayed on Google Earth (See our FAQ page).
While it may look nice, it is a bit like looking at a slide show, this is why we DON'T use Google Earth.
What we have developed is very different and I am sure it will be a pleasant surprise for many that only wanted 2D.
Don't forget you can use planeplotter with our software.

However for those that want 2D this will be added soon after the release of our receiver (free upgrade).
This view will be similar to our competitors and include Outlines / NASA Maps / Open Street Map (OSM) etc.

We will always listen to any suggestions regarding features, changes or additions as we want to continually  improve our product.

Regards

Michael Waddicor
Aurora Eurotech