Author Topic: SBS-1 - antennas for beginners.  (Read 1039 times)

chrisd282

• SBS
  • Flt Lt
SBS-1 - antennas for beginners.
« on: November 16, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »
Hi everyone. Well I've got to admit I'm am absolute beginner in the whole world of antennas. You almost need to learn the antenna language before understanding anything in this forum!

Anyway, I have a vey basic and possibly stupid question. I would be happy searching in forums but I simply don't know what terminology to search for.

I have an SBS-1 that still works a dream. I bought a new aerial for it recently as the old one that came in the box broke eventually. I bought the same aerial. My question, I live on top of a hill and have a lot of 'sky' to pick stuff up.

My question: what do I need to extend my coverage and pick more stuff up? Is there anything I can put to attach to my aerial or SBS To extend coverage? I know the SBS only picks up 'what you can see' but some days I can get studd 250nm away and other days only 100nm

Any ideas would be very grateful!  Thanks

Cd0282

Chris-G0WTZ

• SBS
  • Air Mshl
Re: SBS-1 - antennas for beginners.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 07:18:04 PM »
An antenna outside will give increased range see some on my website www.tmrf.co.uk

F5ANN

• Flt Lt
Re: SBS-1 - antennas for beginners.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:30:35 PM »
Hi,

If you have a long run coax cable, with high losses, you can be interessested by this PCB active antenna.

http://f5ann.pagesperso-orange.fr/PCBActiveAntenna/index.html

73, Francois